About us

Meet the team and learn more about Peter Chalk & Co

Our Specialties

We specialise in dealing with the taxation matters of clergy


A look at the most common questions we get asked

Our Services

Please click here for a full list or services we provide

areas of practice

tax credits

Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credits and common mistakes..


financial advice

Overiew of financial advice we can offer you

record keeping

Visit our page explaining the legal requiements of recording keeping

useful templates

Download and save important templates to use…


Schedule an appointment with us..

Our Specialties

Not only are we experts in the field for taxation matters of clergy, our people are always here to listen and assist in anyway we can. Whether its personal income tax or full tax returns for the year that you need assistance with please dont hesitate to get in touch by phone or pop in for a friendly chat to see how we can help.


I don't normally complete an Income Tax return. Should I be doing so?
If you are a stipendiary member of the clergy, you should be completing a return annually.
I don't have children, can I claim tax credits?
You maybe able to claim the working tax credit element, especially if you are living with a partner and one of you is not working.
I get full expenses from my parish. Do I still need to send a Tax Return?
Yes. In our experience no matter how well the records are kept, you spend more than is reimbursed. In addition, reimbursements are not usually covered by an Inland Revenue dispensation.
I have a lodger. Do I need to declare rent?
To simplify matters for those who take in lodgers, there is a special tax relief called “Rent a Room” which enables you to receive rent of up to £7,500 per annum without having to pay tax, although this should still be shown on a tax return.
I let a property on which the rent received just covers the mortgage. Should it be declared?
Yes. There is a specific Property schedule to be completed even if, on paper, you are not making a profit.
Can we choose how to allocate the profit on property income?
Not normally. The proportion should be in accordance with ownership per the Title Deeds.
If I employ your practice will you save me money?
Hopefully. We will complete your Tax return in accordance with prevailing legislation and advise you of the legitimate expenses you can claim.
How can I get Started with you?
Use the contact form below and enter your details
Alternatively call us on 01476 591333